Monday, October 17, 2016

Day 4: Walk to a Glacier

Breakfast was another nice surprise with scrambled eggs, meats, breads, fruit, cereals, and cod liver oil again. Some definitely took advantage of this. I did not. Neither did Larry. Our first stop included a one-kilometer walk to the glacier We passed by this glacier on the bus, so now we were getting to see it up close and personal. Again, I was happy for my rain gear. My foot has been bothering me, even before this trip, and all this rain was making its discomfort and my arthritis act up. I took lots of Ibuprofen twice each day. It was pouring rain again today. I laughed because at home, I'd never venture out like this in pouring rain. All the walking trails have been easy and formally maintained. I was grateful.

The scenery leading up to the glacier was just beautiful. Golden grasses with other foliage and small plants of reds and oranges added lovely color to the volcanic landscape. Small birch trees and other shrub plants added texture as well. On one side a mountainous wall with many beautiful waterfalls greeted us as we walked along. When we approached the glacier itself, one of our group members suggested climbing a small hill for the best photograph opportunity. We did and it was!

Afterwards, we ventured further down the path to the glacier and its lake. I thought the lake looked pink, but Eythor wondered what lenses I was looking through. "It's brown", he said emphatically. With the blue glacier, the pink lake the pink hugh to the clouds lying low over the dark mountains with waterfalls, it was a magnificent place to be. Nancy went all the way to the beach, but I didn't feel like I needed to do that. Frankly, my foot wouldn't allow me to climb down a small hill, so I settled for being close enough for me.

The walk back to the visitor center was very painful. I couldn't wait to sit down on the bus. I was wet and feeling a little whiney.

Our next stop was the mossy lava "egg" field we passed on the bus earlier. I was grateful to be able to get out and feel the moss. It looked so soft and had a beautiful almost lime green color that went on for as far as the eye could see. Close up, I saw that it was brown at the base. I pushed my finger down through it to the rock to see how long it was. It covered my index finger and was soft to the touch. There were other very pretty little plants growing there as well. The landscapes here are just beautiful. Some were haunting, especially with all this glacial fog and low-lying clouds and rain.

Eythor wanted us to experience the drama of the sea, especially in this rainy weather. We stopped at a place with lava rock arch formations and large walls of rock with holes in them that the sea can slam into and through. The waves were high and loud. The sea looked cold and angry. It was very windy with strong gusts, and the energy of it all was so rejuvenating! I loved it. Larry didn't, so he headed back to the bus. Eythor pointed out a flat area on top one large hill where Puffin roost. I regret we never saw one. They had already migrated elsewhere.

We then went back to Vik for lunch and more shopping at the mill. Caitlin, the Whaling Museum Rep, and I shared lamb goulash and chicken curry. The lamb was better. We had a nice chat. She is a very nice person. All the guides were. Young and very nice. The tour was well planned and paid close attention to detail. I watched each day as the guides gathered to discuss how to deal with the weather and our itinerary. They were very flexible and tried their best to make this a great trip. They succeeded!

I found a couple more things to buy at the woolen mill and then we were off again. Our last stop was a huge waterfall that we could climb steps and stand in a cave behind it. The climbing looked easy, but my knees had a little trouble. There were rocks to walk on and over, so I asked for assistance when I felt insecure. I was so happy I got to stand behind this waterfall. Being in the cave made me feel like a kid again. The waterfall was very loud and powerful. We loved it.

The wind was so strong as we walked back to the bus, I almost got blown over a couple of times. Larry's hat got blown off once. The power of nature abounded at this site. We all welcomes our funky 1950s Hotel Hella after this day. Nancy and Susan asked for a hair dryer. They used it and gave it to me. It died before I even got very far into drying my hair! It didn't work the next day either. It started to work, and then died again. I gave up.

We went back to Hotel Ranga for dinner. Once again our salmon appetizer and chicken entree were delicious. The flavors are so different and I love the combinations the chefs choose. The food here was just delightful. All the presentations were artfully done and the entire trip, except for Hotel Hella, was a five-star experience. The guides tried to find ways to make it up to us. We didn't mind. We all just enjoyed every moment. This was such a nice group of people.

I was swollen and tired for the first time all this trip. I couldn't wait to get to bed and get off my feet. My right arm was bothering me too. It still is. I must have pulled something. My swelling wasn't as bad as on the Ireland trip a month prior, but enough to make me somewhat uncomfortable.

We really hoped and prayed for Northern Lights the next night. Predictions didn't look promising.



No comments:

Post a Comment